On June 21, United Way organizations all over the world celebrate the Day of Action, on summer solstice, the day when we have the most time for good deeds.
Last year, United Way Romania mobilized 630 volunteers who purchased and prepared ”summer educational kits” for 1.000 low-income children to help them stay in touch with school and during the summer holidays.
This year, we aim higher! We will promote education through play through a Guinness World Record attempt for the largest number of Scrabble games played simultaneously.
This is why more than 600 children from the educational projects supported by United Way are waiting for you on June 21 in Izvor Park to play and learn together with you!
What will happen:
- Date: June 21st 2014 (Saturday)
- Location: Ruth School, 9-13 Lacul Bucura Street, Sector 5, Bucharest (you can get there by bus: 139, 141, 220, 323 or by tram: 8, 23)
- Arrival of volunteers: 9:00-10:00
- You will form teams of 2 (kid/teenager vs. volunteer adult) and you will play a match of Scrabble in the park, on the grass (the game takes around one hour)
What you need to know:
- To beat the record, all games have to start at the same time: at 10:00 AM. There will be a lot of people and it will take some time to settle down, so please be there early
- We will bring the Scrabble games, pillows for sitting on the grass, sun caps, water and more surprises
- Below you may find the Scrabble rules (short version) and a map of the event’s location
Participation is free of charge; however, please register in advance HERE.
We need at least 350 more volunteers players in order to break the World Record in place, so we invite you to register before June 13th. See you in the park!